So silent You could literally hear a pin drop as the most powerful sermon is being given or the most beautiful song is being sang. Somewhere in the midst of this most serene and empowering, inspiring environment there comes in the midst of this large gathering an attention grabbing, gut wrenching, bloody murder scream.
Suddenly the entire crowd begins to look around to discover who would dare have the audacity to disrupt their amazing experience. Finally hundreds of eyes land upon a young couple sweating profusely as they try to silence their newborn, who knows no other way than screaming to express what they are feeling.
The ironic thing is, the little one isn't moved one bit by the sneers and stares of the crowd, only the parents who are frantically searching for the nearest exit. Not merely to just silence the child but to escape their embarrassment. After finally locating the nearest exit out-burst mommy with the following jingle.........
I'm sure you already know it, but read the words anyway or just sing along. Ready.....GO
Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's going to buy you a mockingbird.
If that mockingbird won't sing,
Mama's going to buy you a diamond ring.
If that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's going to buy you a looking glass.
If that looking glass gets broke,
Mama's going to buy you a billy goat.
If that billy goat won't pull,
Mama's going to buy you a cart and bull.
If that cart and bull turn over,
Mama's going to buy you a dog named Rover.
If that dog named Rover won't bark,
Mama's going to buy you a horse and cart.
If that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little boy in town.
So hush little baby, don't you cry,
Daddy loves you and so do I.
After realizing this jingle would not and could not work in all situations and having to give up any hope of being able to return to their former sermon and song. They decide to take up a mission to never again be placed in such an embarrassing situation and continue to live the great lives they have always enjoyed prior to this beautiful little one. So, it's off to any and every baby store to be found. Those that carried anything that possessed the magical power of silencing that precious little one.
As the child gets older they go from pacifiers, soothing paint colors, and distracting toys etc... to timeout and in some cases like my own childhood, things a whole lot worse but that's a whole different story for a different time , but for now back to the nursery rhyme. I think that you would agree, these are some pretty grandiose promises made by mommy & daddy in that little jingle. Chances of delivery, well, probably slim to none. Of course, I'm not excluding myself. I am definitely guilty. My son is Eleven now and truly the pride and joy of my life, but those first 6 months, well I better stop just in case he reads this at some point. However, I will say,"WHAT A SCREAMER"! Therefore I sang this one as well as many other cute impossible to fulfill promises. At least, I honestly admit that I never had any intention of trying to fulfil those promises. I simply wanted to stop the noise. I'm sure most can relate.
The sad part of this story is that eventually something works and baby learns when and where to scream or not to scream. You are wondering why is that sad, right? When we arrive in this world,we come equipped with one means to communicate our discomfort, hunger, needs and desires. Our scream!
We grow up. We learn to keep silent in crowds. It's inappropriate we are told. We learn to live with our discomforts. We are told that we can't have everything we want. We are afraid of the stares, the judgment, what others think. The only lullaby's we have to rely on now are lowered expectations, alcohol, meaningless sex, non-fulfilling partying. relationship after relationship and any and every other thing that will keep us from screaming.
It leaves me to wonder... What does growing up mean? Am I no longer allowed to express my displeasure. If I want a change, do I really need the approval of the crowd. The same one, I once screamed to the top of my lungs in front of, regardless of their looks because I needed to be changed. Does the fact that I am now able to do these things for myself mean, I can't scream?
Must I stand by while women become men and men become women. Must I stand by while we mine our earth to death for every natural resource while not recognizing the primary one right underneath our noses (female energy). Must I stand by and endure the dumbing down of women through the countless reality shows and strategically chosen, unqualified female politicians.
No! No! No! I will find my voice again and so can you. I will scream out against wars, famine, hunger, racism, rape, molestation, disrespect and the list goes on and on.
You were taught to stop screaming. The one form of God given communication we were born with. So, Lift up your voice and scream again! Make the world here you, but first, slow down, quiet the other noises and hear your own inner scream. Marianne Williamson says it best,"the world does not benefit by your playing small. Be big and scream aloud when and wherever required.
Scream Baby Scream!!!
Yours In Service,
Dewayne
http:makeemlooktwice.com
No comments:
Post a Comment